So my good friend, Ann, is struggling with what in the world to feed her husband who is struggling with a health condition. All meat and many other forms of protein are out of the picture. But beans are in!
So Matt, this one's for you--one of my favorite vegetarian dinners. The combination of flavors, especially the pepper jack cheese that acts as the binder to the mixture, is incredible.
And it comes from Gourmet Magazine, so whatever credentials that entices you with, try it.
Black Bean, Spinach, and Mushroom Burritos
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 bunch spinach (about 1 pound), coarse stems discarded, washed well and spun dry
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed well and drained
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup coarsely grated pepper Jack cheese (about 5 ounces)
- 1/2 cup canned mild enchilada sauce
- 2 (10-inch) or 4 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- Accompaniment: Sour cream
2 (So I always double it)
In a heavy skillet cook onion and mushrooms in oil over moderate heat, stirring, until golden. Add spinach and garlic and cook, stirring, until spinach is wilted, about 30 seconds. Stir in water, beans, lemon juice, scallions, pepper Jack, salt, to taste, and cook stirring, until cheese is melted.
In a small saucepan, heat enchilada sauce.
Heat a dry skillet (large enough to hold 1 tortilla) over moderately high heat until hot. In skillet heat tortillas, 1 at a time, turning frequently, 30 seconds, or until softened, and transfer to a work surface. Divide filling between tortillas and roll up burritos.
Spoon sauce over burritos and serve with sour cream.