Need a simple hands-on activity for a little indoor summer fun for toddlers on up? This is a Shiffler kid standard that everyone loves: our hip aromatherapy play dough. And new flavors and their wonderful scents/benefits for kids...
This time around we tried out some new oils from my essential oil pantry. These are their amazing aromatherapy properties:
- Geranium has a wonderfully uplifting, calming, flowery scent. It is excellent for the skin, and its aromatic influence helps release negative memories.
- Evergreen Essence combines the scents of a variety of aromatic pine, cedar, and spruce trees. Crisp and invigorating, it refreshes your senses.
- Tangerine is a calming essential oil with a sweet, tangy aroma, similar to orange. It helps with occasional nervous irritability. An excellent oil to help uplift the spirit and bring about a sense of security, tangerine is also rich in the powerful antioxidant d-limonene.
- Ylang Ylang is extremely effective in calming and bringing about a sense of relaxation, and it may help with releasing feelings of anger, tension, and nervous irritability.
My children love the whole process: watching me make the play dough and coloring it, them adding the oils to their own color of play dough, and helping to knead in the essential oil.
The hours they spent rolling and playing with their play dough helps release the incredible scents.
Homemade play dough play is so fun for toddlers. They can roll their dough in extra flour (from the making of it), sprinkle it, and it adds so much to their play.
Making, adding essential oils, and then letting your kids play for hours with aromatherapy play dough as a mother is one of my favorite go-to activities for them to do when I have something pressing to do. I'm amazed how involve each one of them is with their creating, trading, smelling, etc.
- Less tools are better-- candles, a fork, a cookie cutter, small rolling pin, low bowl or cup, plastic spreader for cutting
For older kids:
- More tools offered the merrier-- baking sheet, rolling pin, cookie cutters, butter knives, decorating tips, toothpicks, objects with texture for them to press against, etc.
Now get rollin'!
the sleepy time gal