What I learned from Bobby about marriage from the trip:
1. Even when work piles up, business trips wear you out, staying up late to plan a weekend trip with a few surprises for your wife shows that her happiness means more to your husband then catching up on his needed sleep.
2. When your wife is expecting a free hotel night with Hampton Inn points and you surprise her with the coolest modern hotel right in the city of D.C., she knows you wanted something special for her (especially when you get a good deal on it--she's ecstatic!)
3. Although you want to try a new restaurant for variety, you go where your wife's taste buds are leading her (Cheesecake Factory!) and entertain the waiters throughout the meal.
4. Even though it is totally not your style, you embarrassingly let your wife photography every inch of the mod hotel. Hey, we'll only be here once-- I want ideas for a house someday.
5. You are more hilarious to your wife then when she married you. Like when the waiter at breakfast asked you at the buffet counter what you were having, after I passed by you. You said, "a croissant", although the waiter tried again by coming to our table and this time asking me, "What are you having?", to which I quickly responded twin girls.
6. Patience. Stopping at least 5 times on our trip to find a restroom, buying water or a snack, sometimes at airport-like prices (Yikes!). Even following navigation for 30 minutes to find a 7-Eleven to heat up her leftovers (which is all she wants) although they melt anyway in the non-microwaveable container! (Yes, that was my bad idea. Bobby, you were right.)
7. In an attempt to surprise his increasingly self-conscious pregnant wife (who's preparing to gain at least another 30 lbs. in the next 3 months!) with taking her to a nice maternity store. Once there and realizing the "nice" high prices, took me else where to find flattering clothes.
That's not the most meaningful part--it was while I was tearfully trying on piles of clothes with my rapidly changing, painful body, he got down on the floor to help me in my discomfort to try everything on, giving meaningful input and encouragement.
Nothing else this weekend meant more of his love for me than that.
And my two cuties that stayed with my parents. My dad photographed them the morning we were gone and sent us an email (which Bobby checked on his iPhone one of the many times he was waiting for my in the restroom). After seeing them after being away for less than 24 hours, I desperately missed them!